June 23, 2008

Antidepressants

Well, I have been taking some new medication to help adjust my serotonin levels. I have been taking wellbutrin for about two years now, it worked well by itself until about 6 months or so. I had been getting depressed again, having serious trouble with my memory and dissociative states.

I had enough so I researched antidepressants (again) and found one that would augment my treatment. This one is prescribed for PTSD, OCD, anxiety and improving memory (oh yeah don't forget depression). AAhh, BINGO. I had hit upon the holy grail of my neurosis. I have been taking the new meds for 8 days now, three to six weeks before my neurotransmitter levels even out. The side effects have begun to dissipate. Two days after I started taking the fluvoxamine, an SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor), I began to feel a little bit better. I noticed that my mood had begun to lighten up somewhat. So now I am taking wellbutrin, an NDRI (norepinephrine dopamine reuptake inhibitor), modafinil (a quasi-stimulant for sleep-apnea) and the fluvoxamine. The modafinil kicks the fatigues (from both depression and sleep-apnea) ass which is all good, I have been taking it for about a month now. Well, enough of that crap...

School...I was having extreme trouble with one of my classes this summer. Cognitive Psychology, the class was only one month long. EEEEE, yeah you read it right, it was to much for me. I dropped it because it was stressing me out big time. I do not need it for my degreed program, I am working on a minor in psychology. After this summer I will only need one more psych class to qualify and have two more summers to get that done so no big deal. With the memory problems and disassociative issues studying as much as I needed to began to be an all day every day thing. I failed the first quiz and got a D on the first exam, ouch. These were my very first F and D in my college career. I had a 3.4 at JCTC and I have a 3.6 at U of L, so I was not about to let those suck ass grades ruin my gpa. I am killin my Substance Abuse class, there is a bunch of reading to do. But the thing is that I want to read this stuff, it will greatly enhance my abilities to be a therapist. Most of the people I will be working with will have these issues. And I have done some field work, you know, research on this issue on my own. So it will be good to have a, multivaried perspective (yeah thats it) on the subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your comments, stories and information. Thank you. ~ Scott Lee